M17 Sculpture Prize International Forum21.01.2021 - 21.02.2021
From January 21 to February 21, 2021, the M17 Sculpture Prize International Forum will take place at the M17 Contemporary Art Center
The M17 Sculpture Prize International Forum is a part of the larger project M17 Sculpture Prize – the first professional prize in Ukraine awarded to the artists who work in the field of three-dimensional art. Chronologically, it will coincide with the final part of the M17 Sculpture Prize: Roots and Pollen exhibition.
As the logical follow-up to last year’s discussions around three-dimensional art, the topic, chosen for the M17 Sculpture Prize Forum, is focused on Reforming the Space. First, in our opinion, the events over the past year only reinforced the relevance of this topic. And secondly, it is an expression of one of the key requirements for the projects which were due to be (and eventually have been) nominated for the M17 Sculpture Prize 2020 by international experts.
Thus, the objective of the Forum is to analyze what artists feel the state reform should be and how their activities could directly affect social, political, ideological transformations in the country and over the world. During the global redistribution of spheres of influence, narrative and meanings interventions in communication processes, it is important to pay meticulous attention to what forms the surrounding space takes. What do these forms tell us? What do they indicate? And how to start the reform “from below”, in which the “form of space” would have a transformational impact on the ideology, instead of being its “symptom”?
The exhibition M17 Sculpture Prize: Roots and Pollen will present 12 finished works, the drafts of which were nominated for the Prize. It is noteworthy that the competitive selection, which took place with the participation of leading international experts in the field of three-dimensional art, became an interesting aspect of the M17 Sculpture Prize. The projects included in the shortlist have a strong conceptual component and latent potential for the transformation of the surrounding space. Therefore, the exhibition will be the practical dimension of the Forum’s work, and the Forum will become an analytical platform for reflecting on the results of the Prize.
- A CITY AND PUBLIC ART: Features and Forms of Art Objects in an Urban Environment
- THE NEW TECHNOLOGIES: How Technological Progress Is Changing Three-Dimensional Art
- ART IN NATURAL LANDSCAPE: The Benefits of Environmental Art
Format: panel online/offline discussions, lectures, artist’s talks.
REMOTE CONFERENCE WITHIN THE FORUM
deadline for submission of abstracts is January 20, 2021
In parallel with the Forum, we decided to organize a conference to discuss similar issues in a remote format. Following the conference, it is planned to publish a pdf-collection; also, it is anticipated that some selected materials will be published on the website of the M17 Contemporary Art Center, as well as in the catalogue for the M17 Sculpture Prize: Roots and Pollen exhibition (with ISBN number).
Selected participants of the conference will be invited to present their reports within the activities that will take place during the M17 Sculpture Prize International Forum (from January 21 to February 21, 2021).
Who can take part in the conference:
MA and PhD students, PhD students, academics, cultural industries workers involved in the development of three-dimensional art issues, and artists themselves.
- A City and Public Art: Features and Forms of Art Objects in an Urban Environment
- The New Technologies: How Technological Progress Is Changing Three-Dimensional Art
- Art in Natural Landscape: The Benefits of Environmental Art
Working languages: Ukrainian (or another native language – for foreign citizens), English.
There is no registration fee.
To take part in the conference, it is necessary by January 20, 2021:
- fill in the electronic application form;
- send abstracts in two languages to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org (indicating the subject of the letter: “M17 Sculpture Prize Forum. Conference.” Attention! Letters sent without specifying this subject will not be considered!)
- abstracts are submitted in two languages: Ukrainian (or another native language – for foreign citizens) plus the English translation;
- format – .doc (font Times New Roman, type size 14 point, 1.5 line spacing, all margins – 2 cm);
- volume – 2-5 pages.
Форум є одним із публічних форматів роботи дослідницького напряму M17 Sculpture Project від Центру сучасного мистецтва M17