He studied at the Department of Monumental Painting at the Kharkiv State Academy of Design and Arts (KSADA). Failed in the third year (2009) because of physical education and psychology, but doesn’t regret it.
Gamlet became famous as a street artist. He was born in Kharkiv. The highest number of his works is on the streets of this city (you can discover them with Google Maps).
Twice, in 2009 and 2011, Gamlet was nominated for the PinchukArtCentre Prize. In 2013, was one of the three artists who represented Ukraine at the 55th International Art Exhibition – La Biennale di Venezia.
He illustrated books and art books, including Antenna by Serhiy Zhadan, Ukrainian-language edition of The Potudan River by Andrei Platonov, Pain by Reinhard Knodt, and others. Also engaging in photography.
Gamlet signs his works by separating his name into two words – “Gam Let”, which can be translated into English as “the hum of years”. He does not associate his name with the famous Shakespearean hero and does not like to be called “Ukrainian Banksy”.
Selected solo exhibitions:
– 365 2019 at YermilovCentre for contemporary art. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Only Those Things That Matter at М17 Contemporary Art Center. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Ein Ort, um besser zu werden (A Place to Become Better) at Bunsen Goetz Galerie. Nuremberg, Germany
– Objects, together with Bob Basset, at YermilovCentre for contemporary art. Kharkiv, Ukraine / JUPM Contemporary Art Center. Poltava, Ukraine
– Seventh Rule at Kharkiv Municipal Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– It’s All a Backbone, exhibition of illustrations for Reinhard Knodt’s book Pain at COME IN Art Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Pain and Piece of Land at Odesa Fine Arts Museum. Odesa, Ukraine
– Self-Portraits. Piece of Land at MASLO the Gallery. Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine
– Holy Places at the Galerie im Bonifatiusturm. Röthenbach an der Pegnitz, Germany
– Polaroids. A Diary at Kharkiv Municipal Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Labours of Sisyphus at Unlimited Art Foundation (now the Mironova Foundation). Kyiv, Ukraine
– About Nothing at VOVATANYA Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Closed for Winter at VOVATANYA Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Intro to Photography at Kharkiv Municipal Gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
Selected group exhibitions:
– Alchemy of Motivation, as part of the XII All-Ukrainian Platform New Directions at the Modern Art Research Institute of Ukrainian Academy of Arts. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Alphabet des anarchistischen Alphabets (The Anarchistic Amateur´s Alphabet) at < rotor > center for contemporary art during the steirischerherbst ’19 festival. Graz, Austria
– I Do Not Feel Free to Do What I Want at Kharkiv Municipal Gallery (jointly with Austrian < rotor > center for contemporary art). Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Portrait of the Artist’s Family in the Interior at the Art of Slobozhanshchyna gallery. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– Simulacra Anatomy, as part of the XI All-Ukrainian Platform New Directions at the Modern Art Research Institute of Ukrainian Academy of Arts. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Metachronicles at Pavlo Gudimov Ya Gallery Art Center. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Instant Time at Mystetskyi Arsenal. Kyiv, Ukraine
– SlobodaKult at ILKO Gallery Art Center. Uzhhorod, Ukraine
– NEGRO at Monumental Callao centre for creatives. Callao, Peru
– City of KhA. Avant-garde Kharkiv: Research Project at the National Art Museum of Ukraine (jointly with Kharkiv Municipal Gallery). Kyiv, Ukraine
– Mechanism of Evolution, as part of the X All-Ukrainian Platform New Directions at the Modern Art Research Institute of Ukrainian Academy of Arts. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Stopień zależności (Dependence Degree. Collective Practices of Young Ukrainian Artists 2000-2016) at Galeria Awangarda. Wrocław, Poland
– Clouded Lands at Mystetskyi Arsenal, to the 30th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Unknown, a performance/exhibition at YermilovCentre for contemporary art. Kharkiv, Ukraine
– IZOLYATSIA Day, a retrospective project of IZOLYATSIA Foundation at IZONE creative space. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Appeal to Beauty at Lavra Art Gallery. Kyiv, Ukraine
– Décompression. Coming Up for Air at the Church of Saint-Merriв during the festival Ukraine Scène Libre (Ukraine Free Scene). Paris, France
– Premonition: Ukrainian Art Now at Saatchi Gallery. London, United Kingdom
– Territorien (Territories) at < rotor > center for contemporary art during the steirischerherbst ’14 festival. Graz, Austria
– AmnesiA Project: An Open Platform, Ukrainian group project during the SOUNDOUT! Festival for Ways of Presenting Literature at the Literaturhaus Lettrétage. Berlin, Germany
– Black Sea Calling at the gallery HilgerBROTKunsthalle during the Vienna Art Week 2013. Vienna, Austria
– Il Palazzo Enciclopedico (The Encyclopedic Palace), the 55th International Art Exhibition – La Biennale di Venezia. Gamlet represented Ukraine together with Zhanna Kadyrova and Mykola Ridnyi. There, he presented two projects: In Solitude and The Book of People.